Just 99 miles to go

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

bigger,stronger, faster.

I watched a documentary over the weekend called Bigger,Stronger,Faster.
Its about steroid use.
It centers mostly around weightlifting but ends up covering all types of sports and alot of different types of enhancements.
The narrator/director takes the stance of anti-doping and throughout the movie he's trying to convince himself and us that why steroid use is bad.
He doesn't do a very good job of convincing himself or the movie watcher.
Its very thought provoking and made me re-think my issue on it.
No, I'm not going to start shooting up.
It just made me re-think the whole issue.
For my biking friends, there is also a 5 minute segment with Floyd Landis.

The movie spends the bulk time centered around weightlifting and body building.
I couldn't help while watching but to re think my current sport of choice.
I felt like I could relate to the guys in the gym lifting weights. I could walk into a gym and feel in place.
I don't feel like that on the bike or about bike racing.
I don't give a crap about the TDF. What do I have in common with those skinny roadies.
Evan watching MTB racing. Sure I do it, but I don't feel like one of them. Those guys/girls are doing things at a level that I could not evan have achieved if I'd started riding when I was 20.
I'm not evan sure I would want to.

But sports centered around weights, I can get into.
How many bikers watch the strong man competitions on ESPN and think "I could do that with a little training."

Ok, thats my self psycho analysis for the month.
Just goes to show I should stop watching tv and ride the bike more.

seeya.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Hey, best of luck with the SM100. BTW, if you got 20 minutes this is the best steroid, HGH, etc... article I've ever read. First hand account by a journalist biker to see what the drugs were really about. http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

Tom said...

Yeah, I'd read that before.
Pretty cool article.
I'll be thinking about you when I cruise by AS4.

Tom said...

try single speeding - it's like weight lifting & cycling combined.