Just 99 miles to go

Sunday, December 18, 2005

I'm a biker again.

I believe I hadn't been off the bike this long since my surgery back in april.
16 days with no bike.

I made it to cedarville on Saturday.
I had to stay away from the wetter parts and to tell the truth, it wasn't that much fun. The combo of my legs being outta shape, wet trails, cold temperature, and having to ride a 26" just made it more of a chore than fun.

I was thinking about going to the MORE xmas ride on Sunday so kept Saturdays ride time down so not as to burn the legs up. I did spend enough time out there to crash once and twinge the knee the wrong way. Don't worry, I'm not limping real bad. Its going away.

Instead of going to the xmas ride I opted to stay close to home and ride cedarville again. Alot of reasons kept me from going but the biggest was probly the ride location. Originally it was going to be at Rosaryville but the wet wether got it moved to Greenbrier. Greenbrier is in northern md., I live in so. md. Its almost a 2 hour drive one way for me. 4 hours of driving just wasn't appealing to me today. Especially with a 12:00 start time. If I'm driving all the way up there I wanna start early and get alot of riding in. I'm sure I'll get some time up there this winter. I'm really looking foward getting back on some rocks.

Sundays ride was more enjoyable. Trails still wet, still cold, but I could ride as long as I wanted without having to worry about the legs. Tomowrows a work day, its ok to be tired at work but not on a ride. Man I'm getting screwed up priorites.

On todays ride I did make a decision about the riding differences between 26 and 29" bikes.

On my last Rosaryville ride the 26"er which I'm temporarily forced to ride felt pretty good. I left that night wondering if I was too quick to dismiss 26" bikes.

I wasn't.

I hate that I'm forced back onto the 26".

What I had re-affirmed.
-9er's roll over obstacles better. I'm not talking 5" logs. The big tires just smooth everything out. Small twigs felt large branches today. It must be what people feel like when they go from full suspenion back to a hardtail.
-9er's roll better. I had to use more leg power to keep the bike rolling. Especially over loose trail. I was going down one hill that I normally coast down. On the 26 I had to keep pedaling to keep the pace fun.

I should have the paragon back in a week or so. I not looking foward to riding those small wheels for much longer.

Hopefully we got a night ride going at the rose wed as long as the weather doesnt fuck that up.


Seeyall,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey you Ol' Gorilla! Take CARE of that knee! Hey, thanks for the visit, and I see you got unlazified and registered with msn! Cycling has been a bit on the light side with me as well, just some road stuff is all, as the trails aren't fit ti ride right now! Deep snowdrifts just seem to make cycling difficult, dunno why!::GRIN::