Just 99 miles to go

Monday, October 24, 2005

Finally got some trailwork in.

Its amazing the way a weekend can go from looking so promising on Tuesday and then turn to shit by the time it actually gets here. Saturday I was going to do some trailwork in the morning and then take some guys on a ride around Cedarville. Sunday, if I felt like it, there was going to be a ride at my other local fav. Rosaryville.

Alas, this would be too much fun in the life of Tom so the weather gods decided to piss down on the DC area.

The rides got cancelled but I still got the trailwork in. Saturday morning it was raining but the trailwork was still a go. I will admit, I almost just kept driving north to my office, but than I remembered I had promised the trail liaison that I would be there. The rehabbing knee has kept me from any trail work for the past 6 months. I also have a certain possessiveness over Cedarville and wanted to be in on the action there.

The trail work days there are actually a joint effort (I think) between The Friends of Cedarville (the park club) and MORE (my bike club). The showing from MORE was kinda small, which really didn’t surprise me with the rain. Including me there were 3 other MORE members who started and 1 other showed up a little later. I was glad now I had showed up. I’d like MORE to look as good as possible for the park people. It might help them get some night rides going down there, that would make me real happy.

We worked on building up a section of the blue trail that was low lying and liked to stay muddy. I have to comment on one of the FOC’s kid that was helping. Normally I’m not a fan of people bringing their kids on work days. They usually lose interest too quickly than just become a distraction. Anyways, this little girl who was about 12 was in charge of driving one of the gators (4x4 util vehicle). Not only could she drive it better than I could have but she was on the ball. At the beginning of the work I’m helping spread the dirt that she’s bringing to us. There really too many of us trying to spread this little pile of dirt around so half the time I’m leaning on my shovel. Dan comes over and needs another body to shovel the dirt into the gator, he says he caught the little girl trying to shovel the dirt into the gator by herself. This is freaking amazing to me. This little girl cant weight 80 lbs and she’s trying to fill a gator by herself. I can’t get my 13 year old to do anything around the house without listening to her complain and whine.

After the trailwork was done the Cedarville people made a nice lunch of grilled hotdogs and chips. They know how to end a trail work day.

Sunday I went into work and didn’t bother bringing the bike thanks to the weatherman telling me it was going to be cold and blustery. He lied. It ended up being beautiful.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So what if it's cold and blustery? A little hard pedaling and dressing for the chill and you never notice, I use thinsulate gloves and light sweats and a light jacket, and I'm good below freezing! Just keep the ears, legs and feet and hands warm and you're good to go!

Tom said...

I knew after I wrote that it would make me look like a pussy.
Let me re-phrase, cold and blustery and all the rain we got the past 2 days kept me off.

I dropped enough change last winter on riding appearal to keep me warm during winter riding.

Unknown said...

Gore-Tex, Tom, Gore-Tex! Keeps you warm AND dry!::GRIN:: Not saying you are a wuss though! I've been known to skip a muddy ride or two myself as it just leads to FAR more maintenance on the drivetrain! Remember though, if you ain't breakin' parts, you're on the wrong trail!::GRIN::

Arleigh Jenkins said...

gotta road bike?? how far do you live from me again?

Tom said...

I've only got a tiny little herd. 2 mtbs, a 26 and a 29.

I live way down in So.Md. anyways.
About 20 minutes south of Waldorf. Theres a bike doc there so I though you might of heard of Waldorf.

Goodluck

Arleigh Jenkins said...

hey hey
Training is for next season. Trying to start my base in November since I haven't really been riding for over a year now.