Just 99 miles to go

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The big 6 month checkup on the knee. I'm pissed.

The 6 month anniversery of the knee surgery has been the "big" one to look forward to for me. Thanks to my main form of support for the knee, bobs Acl board. I learned thats when most people received their sports release. Some people were released a little later depending on their progress at the time, but their doctors always gave them reasons why , or they didn’t pass a biodex test. This seems to be "the test" to pass to obtain the sports release. Simply, your put on a machine and do as many reps as you can with your good leg and the operated one. If your bad leg can come within a certain percentage of the good leg you get your release. Some patients need to demonstrate in front of their doctor that they can hop, bend, and walk without a limp on the leg.

So with this in mind I’ve been working on stupid stuff a lot more lately. Especially hopping on the bad leg. I’m expecting that when I go in for my appt. he’ll have me demonstrate some of the items, or have me go to the PT to get the biodex test done. Which btw, I’m sure I would pass easily. Both legs are back to the same size and each leg feels equally strong. As a matter of fact, I’ve been favoring the bad leg because of a flare up in knee pain in the good leg from all of these stupid exercises I’ve been doing.

So the appointment.
He has me lay back and does the "laxity test"(moves the knee cap around to check for excessive play). He does this on every appt. "Ok, you can go ahead start riding the bike on easy trails with the brace but no jumping rocks or anything. Come back in 3 months and I’ll probly give you your sports release. Have a good day".

No comparing the 2 legs.
No checking range of motion.
No talk of having the PT check me out.

I ask him "Well how does the ligament feel". He says its nice and tight.

I’ve come to the conclusion that he is going by "his" predermined time table, which might I add seems to be way more conservative than other one elses. It doesn’t matter what condition I’m in. He’s sticking to his timetable.

I’m done with him.
That was the last time he will see me. (He’s lost my $15.00 copay)

His bedside manner sucks, he doesn’t want to listen to anything I tell him, and he doesn’t like explaining shit.
The only redeeming factor he has is that hes a half way decent surgeon.

So my plan.
The brace is getting dropped from my regular bike trails. Actually I already did this.
I’ll wear it for the next 1-1/2 months on technical or unfamiliar trails.
I will start helping the kid with soccer practice.
I'm looking for a new Orthopedic Doc.
Seeya

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Tom, surgeons tend to be a bit on the arrogant side. He probably thinks you are one of those "Gonzo" mountainbikers! (He's probably right!::GRIN::) My doctors go into a panic every time I talk about competing, myself. My primary care wants me to go through a full cardio workup complete with electrolytes and bloodwork before he'll release me. I hate the idea of spending a couple of days in the hospital and that's how intensely he wants to have me tested! THAT SUX!