Just 99 miles to go

Monday, October 31, 2005

Another weekend gone.

Pretty good weekend finally.
Saturday I helped a biking buddy move.
I came to the conclusion that I don’t have enough bikes.
We’ll have to work on that in the future.
And I don’t fit well into the back of Honda civics.
Dave K had to give me,Denis, and Chris a ride back to Germantown after the move.
How the two guys well over 6’ got crammed into the back is beyond me. BTW Chris, I’ll remember you for not offering to give me the front seat.
Paybacks a bitch.
Christ, the mans only like 5’4".
Thankfully, it was only a 20 minute ride back.
Any longer and I would have become a permenant accessory to Dave’s Civic.

Sunday I got a group ride in at the Rose.
There were 2 advertised that day at the Rose.
1 casual in the morning and 1 moderate at 3:00.
Initially I was going to go to the casual but some of the guys at the move were thinking of hitting the moderate.
I wasn’t sure if I’m up to a moderate pace yet but they were going to go on SS.
My Friday evening ride there was completely pathetic and my confidence in my ablilities were at an all time low.
It didn’t help to hear from someone either that they had tried to go on a ride with the same leader, Austin, and couldn’t hang on.

I get to the ride and my buddies from yesterday weren’t there.
Oh shit. Oh well, nothing was definate.
I was about to just wait till Austins group took off and ride by my lonesome but figured what the hell.
I’d try it.
I let them know at the get go that I’d probly have to peel off after a couple of miles but I’d try.

I’m not sure what bug got up my ass but I held on real good.
And surprise,surprse. I wasn’t the slowest guy.
I guess it helps having a home court advantage.
I know that trail so well now, there are no surprises left.

It was supposed to be a 2 loop ride. The first moderate and the 2nd more casual.
Well, when Austin figured the ride he forgot about the time change.
We where hauling ass that 2nd loop to get off before it got completely dark.

It still amazes me that you ride like shit one day, and on the next ride everything just falls into a groove.

Austin went over some of the changes that were going to happen out there.
That place is going to rock when the new trails get cut in.
What I liked hearing is that they’re not going to abandon the old trails, the changes are going to be additions to the existing ride.
It’ll make for more mileage and more variety on the loop.

Seeya

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tom, just dropped by to say thanks for turning me on to Fatty's place! Damn, he's got a great blog!

Arleigh Jenkins said...

Hey, hopefully you'll be coming out to the night rides at Rosaryville!

Tom said...

He's funny, aint he.
Although anyone who can finish a 100 miler cant be called fat.

I plan on doing all the local night rides possible. Ill be the one riding too close,with a Fisher that has an irriatating clicking that I can't track down.
click-click-click-click-click

Arleigh Jenkins said...

if you don't mind - drop by my shop and I'll take a quick lookie lookie at it.

Tom said...

Thanks arleigh, thats nice of ya but I havent given up tightening bolts quite yet.

I'm one of those prideful, self sufficient bastards who would rather trash the bike than have someone else work on it.

I'm the guy who comes into your shop and buys $200 worth of tools and wastes an hour of your time getting your technical expertise on whats wrong but refuses to let you work on it.

seeya

gwadzilla said...

ah.... fall
such a great season for riding
the leaves can offer a whole new variable

my dogs love the leaves too
they take the steeps like an skier
they push the leaves like the skier would push the powder
often riding the leaves down like an avalanche