Just 99 miles to go

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Weekend update

Got away from work early Friday and hit Rosaryville. 1 quick spin around so I could go see my youngest daughters soccer match at 5:00. Uneventful other than the wife calling me on the cell and "breaking my stride".
I was running the old chain so I didn't have the problems of the chain skipping on some of the cassette cogs. It felt good to mash again. High RPM's suck.

The daughters getting old enough where they actually give them positions that they stick to in the soccer games. She has finally found her niche. Some sort of defensive position. She has her daddy's genes thus she has no endurance. So she can exert maximum effort for a minute, than get a break. That why I like Rosaryville so much. None of the hills are too large where a rest period isn't more than a minute away.

Saturday after catching another soccer game in the morning (poor little girl was ragged out Saturday night) I hit Cedarville for an easy ride. I didn't see alot of other riders but ran across quite a few hikers including 2 boy scout groups. 1 group I ran across 3 times. They were hiking the blue trail and I kept taking different routes on and off of it. After doing my normal combo of trails I stopped by the truck and got rid of the knee brace. I thought I'd get a few miles in on the fire road and ride around the camp sites. That was kinda depressing. The fallen leaves starting to cover things up, the mostly empty sites, and cool afternoon reminded me that winter was on the way. I thought about one ride I had out there back in January. Nice sunny day but cold as shit (30 degree high) and a few days after some snow. The snow was no longer fluffy but had that crunchy top coat. It was miserable. No flow at all.

It felt good taking that knee brace off and riding. It never really bothered me before but I felt so light and spinning the cranks felt so easy without it on. I couldn't resist but to make a detour onto a section of trail that crossed the fire road. I was flying.

Sunday was no riding day. I installed a new cassette and re-installed the new chain back onto the 29". I also played with my new bottom bracket removal tool. I've never had the bottom bracket out before and I wanted to see what it looked like. I took a test run around the yard. The click-click-click thats been coming from the BB lately wasn't there. Maybe it just needed tightening? I hope so, I really don't wanna put the money out for a new BB right now. Tomowrow I'll take her for a longer ride and see how she handles.


seeya

No comments: