Just 99 miles to go

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My knee checkup-14 weeks Post op

Nothing real exciting to report.
No new activities added to the Ok list.
Basically 2 things happened.

I told him I wasn’t wearing the brace ALL the time.
He might have figured this out also because it wasn’t in the room with me.
He gave me the lecture about how the graft was just getting out its weakest stage and I was going to HELL if I didn’t wear it all the time unless I was sitting on my butt, and repent all of my sins. (Ok, I made the last part up.)
I thought about lying to him and taking it in with me, but the damn thing was filthy with mud from the previous nights ride at Rosaryville.
I’d like to add, when they they say its made of titanium, thats only the hinge.
The other bolts and rivots are starting to rust from the mud I’m going through.

He also wants me to start back up with physical therapy.
I had assumed it would be ending for me, as from the experience of others, they usually get released at this point.
I guess my PT, needs the money and he gives my doc kickbacks from each patient he sends to him.

I am going to start PT again next week.
It better be more interesting than the last times I went.

I’m still only using the brace when I feel it necessary.
I’m not being totally hardheaded on this.
I’ve just been researching and feel my doc is being overly conservative.
You know somethings up when I would go into my PT sessions with the brace on, and the therapists would have me take it off.

I go back in 4 weeks for another checkup.

Seeya

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tom, Tom, Tom.......Your Dr. is not being overconservative! The only time your brace should be off is at rest, at the Dr Office or at therapy! It's purpose is to keep you from undoing all that delicate microsurgery! At therapy, you are under controlled conditions. Out on the street, you can make a misstep and severely injure the weakened joint structure! You told me to do what MY doctor said, I'm gonna return the favor! DO WHAT YOUR DOCTOR SAYS!(GRIN) The knee you save may be your own! Thaqnks for the posts on my blog, BTW, and there is an answer to your last comment on my blog waiting for you! Keep riding, Bro!

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be going nuts if my OS were this way. Mine hardly communicates, however, so one would have to be a mind-reader to get this much advice from my OS! Mine had me out of the brace for walking at like 10 weeks, maybe sooner (would have to check my blog), and he didn't even mention it when I asked about mountain biking (except for the sage wisdom, "Just don't fall!") Hiking he didn't want me doing til 16 weeks post-op. I, uhm, kind of cheated there...but only once, and only on a trail I'd done a lot pre-injury.

I haven't strapped on my brace in a month, since my biking has replaced my hiking for now (too d-mned hot for hikes, just fine for early/late rides).

All this said, I'd literally die (perhaps by my own hand) if I ripped my new ACL doing something my OS had specifically forbitten. I guess I believe in Karma, 'cuz that just feels like it's messing with some serious powers beyond my comprehension! :)

Anonymous said...

Forbidden... geesh.

I'm past the 5 months post-op mark, btw. Was 5 months exactly on July 4th. Didn't start the mountain biking 'til 4.5 months, though probably could've started well sooner (just didn't have a bike!) Hiking resumed, officially, at 16 weeks exactly, and only while braced. He's even cleared me to jog on flat surfaces, without telling me if that's braceless or not. Since jogging and I haven't hit it off real well, I never bothered to ask. I prefer hikes, walks or bike rides.