Just 99 miles to go

Sunday, June 12, 2005

Weekend writeup

My 8 year old daughter had a soccer tournament. This being the last games this spring I wanted to watch.
I was a little worried about the kids because of the heat and humidity thats hit the area for the past week.
This wasn’t part of the normal soccer schedule.
Each team from the normal season games got the 6 best players to be in the tournament.
They started at 8:30 and it ran till 12:00. Luckily there was a small breeze the whole time and that made it bearable.
Her team got 2nd place out of 8 teams. The final game for 1st place ended up being 1-0.
Aint that a bitch.
I think the parents were more bummed than the kids. 5 minutes after the game the kids are excited just to get snacks from the concession stand.

I left and headed into the office. It was too hot to do any yard work and after last nights milage my legs were feeling sluggish.

On the way in, I get a call from my b-in-law on the cell.
I knew I was in trouble.
He hardly ever calls me unless he needs something.
He’s trying to install a deck and ramp at his parents house and his help didn’t show up.

Since I had no real plans at the office I tell him sure, I’ll help.

I show up there and its right in the sun, no sign of shade.
I pull the shirt off and get to work.
Ended up showing up at 1:15 and didn’t finish up till 8:30.
We ran outta daylight and wood about the same time.
I ended up getting sun burned.
The 40 minute ride home was pure hell.
Trying to lean forward while driving to keep my back off of the seat, tired as mutha, and dehydrated.
He’s gonna owe me big time for this.

Sunday
Oh man my back is killing me. Not muscles, the damn sunburn.

I ended up at Cedarville anyway in the afternoon.
I didn’t feel like going but talked myself into it the way I normally do.
A-I’ll make it an easy ride
B-once the winds in my face I usually get the adrenalin rush and forget the pain.

The adrenalin never kicked in.
What easy rides mean are that you really don’t get enough speed up to make the ride interesting and you don’t have momentum for the hills.
So I ended up working hard anyways.
Got in 11 1/2 miles.

I did have a run in with a confused squirrel.
I usually see a 100 of them out here running across the trail.
One decided that he wanted to race.
Instead of running across the trail, he runs on the trail.
I followed behind him , drafting and yelling for a full minute before he finally got out of the way.
I think he was trying to show me a better line.

Seeya

3 comments:

Your Name Here said...

I had a little bunny do the same thing to me at Fountainhead last week. It decided that the best way to get away from me was to run right down the middle of the trail. That little thing was FLYING!!! It finally made a quick turn to the left and I didn't have to hit the brakes for it.

Last night I met a herd of rather brave deer at Fountainhead. They were perfectly happy to stand in the trail as I came up the trail. It was towards the top of a rather long hill so I was hacking and honking... trying to get air in my lungs. Even the jingle bells didn't scare them off. I ended up wiggling past them and brushing up against one of them. They were WAY too domesticated.

See you around!

Pete

Tom said...

Thats too cool.
I've had close encounters with deer but nothing like that.

I know I'm going to end up hitting something sooner or later.

Your Name Here said...

In my years of cycling, the most frightening encounter with wildlife while riding was with a family of porcupines. There were three babies in a row, with Mom in front and Dad in back. Basically they blocked the entire trail. I managed to slow down and stop before getting to them. It was seriously close though. I've had to help people and dogs out that got spiked by porcupines. It isn't fun or pretty at all.

Luckily we don't have porcupines out here.... Or at least I don't think we do.

Keep up the good work. We'll get a group ride going with you some time soon.

Pete