Just 99 miles to go

Monday, May 30, 2005

I love riding dirt. Cedarville Day 4? PO

Woke up at 7:00 and felt good. I guess the day of rest paid off.

The wife was going over her sisters so I knew I had the day to do what I wanted.

Went into the office for a few hours. I always seem to be able to get more done when no ones there.

Left at 1:00 and hit Cedarville.

The plan was to ride Forest Rd. (a gravel rd). down to the lake and try to do all of the brown trail. I had only did about a third of it Saturday before I turned around.

There were more people there than I’m used to seeing. Being Memorial day this didn’t surprise me. But it was by no way crowded. The parks down here get a lot less use than the ones in NOVA and up north.

I ride the complete brown trail. Its only 2 or 3 miles.
The legs are feeling strong. I’m able to get off the saddle. I can get the weight back on the descents. I can power over the roots. I feel great.

Finish the brown and decide to take a try at the green. Its got a few more hills, more root sections, and a lot more turns. But I figure I can always walk what looks sketchy. Plus it has got a cool "bob sled" section. Nasty when its damp but a hell of a sweet ride when its dry. When I’m riding the "bob sled" I’m always thinking about my brother. If I could just get him out here to ride this , I know he would love this shit.

I only walked one section. A descent that had a hard left at the bottom. Before surgery this would been a breeze.

The green hooks up with the brown and I turned it into one big loop. Togather they’re about 4 1/2 miles or so.

Ended the day with exploring some of the dirt roads that run off of forest rd. Total milage of 15 , with a ride time of 1:50. I wasn’t out there to break speed records or train. Just have a good time and I did.

The forest is situated around swamps. This time of year it is really cool watching the wet areas. The plants that spring up around the water and the wild life.

Todays ride made me question my use of clipless pedals. I won’t be using them for a while. The motion needed for unclipping is a no-no for the knee. I notice I do most of my pedaling with the arch, and sometimes evan the heel of my foot. I guess being a natural masher this works better for me. I seem to be able to get more power this way. I’m gonna experiment later and see how it works out.

So I officially consider my self "back". If I can’t do anything else I can ride Cedarville.
The next step will be to get back on the 29"

I was getting tired of risking life and limb crossing major highways anyways.
Road rides suck.

Seeya

3 comments:

Your Name Here said...

I definitely agree with you when it comes to road riding sucking. I hate getting out there on my road bike. I'm going to start commuting by bike a few days per week when laura changes jobs. Maybe that'll be a little more fun.

You did a lot more mileage than I did last weekend. I spent the whole weekend helping out a buddy that's been in the hospital.

Later!

Pete

Tom said...

I don't know how people do it. Last week on the road, cars going by 65 mph only 8 feet from me.
It was freak'n me out! I couldnt hold a line worth shit.

Sometimes we gotta put the bike on hold, evan if its perfect weather.

tommy

Your Name Here said...

The bike has definitely been put on hold. Its good though. I learned a long time ago that you gotta do what you can to help out. I've had so many people give me a hand-up when I needed it, that it would be really dumb for me not to pass that along.

I'll get some riding in this weekend... even though it looks like my mother-in-law is going to be in town.

Take it easy,

Pete