Just 99 miles to go

Monday, March 05, 2018

New blog, Na lets just use the old one. TKR in the future.

Not going to rehash what has or has not been happening.
Don't care if anyone reads this other me . 
I'm going to be getting a total knee replacement in the near future and am going to try to document the procedure here.  I did the same thing for the ACL and found it interesting to go back and see exactly how long the re hab was.
I started this as a biking blog but know I went off on tangets before with life changes so it going off again.
My biking has been practically non-existent .  Trying to get moms house fixed to sell has been a big part of it but the knee has been another part.
Its been  6 weeks since I even got on the trainer.
A month ago i tried riding the MTB around the front yard but couldn't even get in one complete roation.
Good thing I was on a decent or I would have fallen over.

So saw my old ortho surgeon last Friday. March 1.
it was a follow up on synvisc injections in the left knee.  Unfortunately the injections didn't help a damn bit . He said only thing left was to get the TKR. He originally told me 12 years ago that I was going to need one but to hold off as long as possible. Well I'm 52 now and i can't go on like this.

I limp everywhere.  I go down steps one at a time, ya know like someone who's 70.
After standing on my feet working for 2 hours I've gotta take a break cause of the knee.
Pulling the leg in and out of a truck in a major event.  I trip over shit cause I'm not lifting the foot up hi enough.  And lastly, I can't even ride the bike for exercise/ fun.

So I led Dr Bauk on to belive that I wasn't sure when I wanted the surgery done but actually I'm getting a 2nd opinion.  I don't like the way he was so conservative in my ACL  rehab, the way he did surgery twice on my shoulder and couldn't fix it and I learned about a girl (daughter of judys friend) who had bauk do a ACL repair , didn't do it right so she went to another doctor and he did it correctly and said bauk did a shit job.

So I've go an appt March 21 to see a doc in annapoilis who was reccommended to me by a former riding buddy Sue who's in the medical profession.  His webpage says he does 300 of these a year so shit , with that much practice he should be pretty good at it.  When I talked to bauk he said he also did this as out patient procedure. I'm not so sure i want that. I remember after the ACL replacement the way it seemed they were trying to rush me out cause I was the last patient in there. 

Ok. enough for this post.

No comments: