Just 99 miles to go

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Steel ain't so real, it breaks just like aluminum.

That makes the 3rd frame I've broke since I started biking.
I met Doc and did some laps at Rosaryville on Saturday. I did 3 1/2 this time.
This is really sad. Doc was just moving away from me on the hills.
I'm praying I was just worn out from last week and my fitness hasn't gone that bad. From working and the little riding I did I'm just feeling tired.
So after Doc left I did another 1/2 lap and took the road back to the truck.
I heard an unfamilar creaking and made a mental note to check the bike later.
Later that night when I'm pulling the bike outta the truck, I see it.
At first you think its a new scratch in the paint, then you take a better look and realize its a crack.
This was on the downtube beneath wear a gusset was welded to the head tube.
The crack had made it 3/4 of the way around the tube.
Its a good thing I didn't finish that lap. I don't think it would of held.
At first I had that bad feeling in the gut. Oh shit, its broke.
That faded and than I thought, its broke. I get a NEW frame!
Thank goodness for lifetime warranties.
I've still got to figure out how to get the seatpost out of the bike though.
Its been stuck in there for over 6 months. I've been spraying it with a loosening spray for the past 5 weeks and it shows no signs of giving. I don't evan bother clamping it any more.

Now I just wait for the new frame to show up at the shop.
Now the dilemma. Its a warranty job so technically the shop takes care of it, but since I'm an employee do I still get paid to work on my bike?

Maybe I should go ahead an order the new HIFi so I have something to ride while I'm waiting for the steel frame.

seeya

No comments: