Just 99 miles to go

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Short version SM100 race report.

This is the result of an endo that happened 15-20 miles into the race.

If you can't tell from the picture, the rod which connects the front brake lever to the master cylinder pulled out of the housing. I found the snap ring which held it in place but none of the mechanics at the aid stations had a pair of snap ring pliers, that I needed to fix it.

I spent rest of the day tweaking and babying it, so it would work on the descents.
By AS5 I'd had enough and didn't wanna chance the technical descents with sketchy brakes.

DNF, aid station 5. 11 hours 40 minutes.

The long version to come, after I get over the funk of DNFing.

4 comments:

Tom said...

arggh sorry to hear that, especially after getting so close to the end. On the bright side you went that far so you know it's doable for next year.

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Honestly I would have done the same thing. I certainly wouldn't want to head down some of those hills at the end in the dark with no brakes.

Dave

P.S. I was the guy that said hello to you right before the race started. You really do have an entertaining blog!

Steve said...

Tom,

Nice work making it so far with a bum brake. Next year you'll have a better idea of what's in store. In the meantime keep the rubber side down.

Steve

gwadzilla said...

you made it to aid station five?

you are made in the shade for next year!