Just 99 miles to go

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Last thoughts about the SM100.

Last little tid bit from the SM100 I just learned.
In an earlier post about the pre rides I did before the race, I mentioned a "runner", Tim, who was crossing over into MTB'g. He would ride ahead of most of the pack, than double back to ride sections of the trail again.
He was in excellent condition and made me re-think my training.
I've gotta add in more cross training.
Hiking, jogging,walking. Something more than just the bike.

Anyways, it turns out that he was the first downed rider, the one who didn't look too good, that I came across during the race. A total shame. I heard later that he wasn't riding for more than an hour when his accident happened. Turns out he broke 2 ribs in his back, was carried down on a back board and it was 6 hours till they were able to get him down.

I really wanted to see him finish. I was curious as to what kind of finish time he would have gotten with his limited MTB experience but with his high level of fitness.

It reminds me of a post on MTBR before the race. A roadie posted up asking about how technical the trails were. He had not spent alot of times on trails but was thinking about entering it.
It kinda pissed me off a little.
This is a Mountain-bike-race.
Sure alot of it is on fire roads and double track but it only takes that one rock or root on a decent to really fuck you up.
Maybe it would just the way I read the attitude into the guys post "I'm a roadie but surely I can compete with MTB'ers on there course. "

Now I'm in no way comparing Tim to this guy. Tim's skills were pretty good for his limited time on the bike. His accident was probly a fluke that could, and has probly happened before to MTB'rs with years of experience.

But still, I gotta wonder if he was more experienced would the accident have happend?

He's already said he'll be back next year.
It'll be good to race with him again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, on the other hand, you can think about an MTB'er showing up at a road race. All of a sudden you have to learn how to play well with others, increase your cadence, etc . . .