Just 99 miles to go

Saturday, April 14, 2007

I'm officially not a SS'r.

I finally got the geared bike (Paragon)back togather.
Rebuilt the master cylinders (I was quite proud of myself) , changed some shifter cables, replaced the hanger, tightened up the bottom bracket and trued the wheels.

She was running good.

I got out to Rosaryville Friday night and I had a ball.

I missed the gears. But never realized it.

Its not what ya think either. Going up hills I used the same gear if not higher than what I was running on the SS. It was on the descents where I loved the gears. Instead of coasting or trying to spin my ass off, I geared up and just let the speed happen.

With the extra speed, came momentum which carried me over the next ascents easier.

I finished my first lap and still felt great.
Went for a 2nd.
On the 2nd lap I did gear down lower than what I could have on the SS, but I wouldn't have been able to do a 2nd with the SS. If it weren't dark I would have got in atleast another 1/2 lap.

So, let me think about this.
Bust my ass with 1 gear and not have as much fun, or carry the weight of the extra parts (oh my god, a whole pound), have fun, and be able to ride longer.

Lets just say I won't be needing the Surly cogs I just bought.

Seeyall

No comments: