Just 99 miles to go

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Un- intentional night ride.

So the days are getting shorter.
They've been getting shorter since what, June 26. Isn't that the summer equinox.
Although I've only started to notice now.

It dawned on me on a Cedarville ride last week when I had a hard time getting outta there at around 8:00 .

I found my battery and charged it up just in case I decide to get an after work ride in and "accidently" turned into a night ride. Although it hasn't actually made it into my truck.

With that in mind, I made it out to Rosaryville at 6:30. I ran into my buddy Dave M who was leading a new rider around. As I'm all about the "fun" now I decided to tag along after them. Dave had bought his light, in-case, but I didn't really think there would be a need. We had over an hour of daylite left.
As the sun went below the trees the temperature dropped nicely.

I took up the rear and dropped back so not as to put pressure on the new rider. I know how I don't like feeling pressured with someone riding behind me, especially when I started out. I just putted along enoying being outside in the woods and would catch up to Dave and "Mo" (a misleading name as Mo is a short woman,although pretty good for a beginner) when she needed a rest.

3/4 through our lap it started to get dark. Dave rode behind Mo with his light shining ahead of her. I had to stay on their butts now so I could see. I told myself I'd peel off onto the road at a bailout that was coming up. At the bailout I could still see, OK, so decided to get the last 1 1/2 miles.

2 minutes later I think we lost all daylite. Still we rode on, me right on Daves butt. Everything was fine until a water crossing 1/4" mile from the end. We slow down as we come to it and I get a good look at it in Daves light. He takes off and I cant see shit. I go ahead and go for it. I've done it dozens of times before.
I know theres a mound and then a drop.

Nope. Didn't make it.
My ass endo'd on something.
Not sure what.
Got some nice trail rash on the shoulder but nothing broke on me or the bike.

The light went in the truck as soon as I got home.
The night riding bug has struck.
Can't wait for another chance to turn an afterwork ride into a night ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kudos, and for dropping back. I knew you coulda gone faster.

mo