Just 99 miles to go

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My first offical lead ride.

If I was a "sensitive" person , I'd take the amount of riders that showed up for my night ride at Cedarville personally. But I'm shallow and callous, so it doesn't bother me. We all know when the weather turns cold , the "fair weather" riders drop off like flies. I'm not being "totally" fair. It was the evening before a holiday.

So it was me, Dave M, and his son Josh. Poor Josh. I felt sorry him. He was wearing shorts and it got cold. It took me a few cold weather rides to finally figure out what to wear in what temperature. As a matter of fact I'm still working on the feet.

We had gotten rain the day before so being a good ride leader I stopped by and checked out the trails in the morning to see how they were. Despite the rain they were firm.

We had been out about 20 minutes and Daves light starts to go dim. He was a trooper though and wanted to try to ride by mine and Josh's light. We did that for another 20 minutes but I didn't feel good about the whole thing. I decided we better cut out one of the gravel roads and make it back to the cars. I think Josh had enough of the cold , so he was fine and I don't think Dave was having an easy time of it. I don't think my leading helped alot. I'd forget every once in a while that he was going by my light and start looking off into the woods taking the light with me.
BAD LEADER!
I'm still learning.
It started flurrying on the way back. So this turned out to be MORE's first offical snow ride.

By the time we got back and they left it was only 7:35. I decided I'm not wasting a sanctioned evening ride and go back out by myself.
We got the park until 8:30 and I'm taking advantage of it.

I don't get rides in at night alot and the falling snow just added to the whole effect. Although I will admit being out there by myself was a little errie(?).

I've gotta do something different with the feet. They got numb and took 15 minutes to finally heat up once I got them into the warm truck. I'm debating on trying booties, or just dropping the clipless during cold weather and riding with tennis shoes and some thick socks. My riding shoes are too tight to get anything other than normal socks in.

Seeyall

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm back, Tom, and my post Turkey day posating is up and your wondering is answered! Stop by and say hey!

Unknown said...

Why don't you get some thinsulate lined winter low quarters and install a cleat on the sole for your clipless pedals, something with a rigid semismooth sole? 500 grams of thinsulate would do fairly well and would be waterproof and breath fairly well too. Just a thought, maybe a pair of Herman Survivors, take a dremel tool to the lugs in the center area where a cleat would mount? Just an idea!

Unknown said...

I linked you, Tom, I hope you don't mind!

Anonymous said...

I bet that clear cut is really cool at night.
See ya tomorrow!