Just 99 miles to go

Thursday, October 13, 2005

I've went from over-weight to obese

I'd recently found a blog by a guy that calls himself "Fat Cyclist". I'm sure anyone who's found there way to my blog has already seen his. If ya haven't, go ahead and find it he writes some funny ass shit.

In a past article he wrote, he makes mention of the NIH's body mass index and gives a link for it where you can put in your height/weight and it'll give you a number giving you your "Body Mass Index number".

I've always been considered over weight by those type of charts but had heard that in the last couple of years they changed them to be more realistic. The last time I had checked one, I needed to weight 185lbs to be considered not over-weight. I'm pretty sure, if I every got to 185 I would resemble Lurch from the adams family.

According to the chart, at 235 (which I was 5 days ago), I'm at the extreme bad side of being overweight. At 240 (which I was last night), I'm obese.

This is supposed to be more realistic?

At least the old way it would take your sex and bone structure into account (hey, we're all "big boned" right).

In my defense, the program would only accept 6'-3" or 6'-4". It wouldn't take the 6'-3-3/8" that I acually am.

I'll try to put the link, here. See if it works and let me know how ya do.

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The BMI is a joke, because it does not distinguish between muscle mass and fat.

According to the BMI, Michael Jordan was obese all 6 years that he won the NBA championships.

PS: this is not to say that you're not obese, Tommy! :D

Tom said...

I knew I could count on you to put it in perspective for me.

Come on ,tell the truth. your what?
An 1 shorter than me and probly 20# ligher. Sounds obese to me?

seeya buddy

Anonymous said...

I'm not fat, I am a nutritional overachiever.

Plus, I'm preparing to hibernate!

Unknown said...

Tom, you're not overweight! Obviously, you are underheight according to the Insurance tables! You must have been like me! I drank coffee too young, stunts your growth, don't'cha know! I was apparently destined to be 11'7" if I hadn't started drinking coffee in my baby bottle!

Gaz said...

Superfrenchie hit it on the head, the BMI is a waste of space. A buddy of mine is a professional athlete, and according to that, he's obsese as well (despite having something like 6% body fat.) Only way to do it is to have your body fat percentage measured. Normal for a guy is something like 15%. For me, it's somewhere like 40%...

Anonymous said...

According to this for to hit the low end of the normal scale I should wieght 129lbs. I am going to shot for this weight, but I will not be able to ride when there more 5 mph winds