Just 99 miles to go

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Broadening my horizons, Sennaca Creek greenway

The ride this weekend was at Sennaca Creek Greenway up in Montgomery county. Yep, another drive for Tom. Its really was a few minutes closer than last weeks ride at Schaeffer farms. A girl on the MORE forum , Barbara, aka squirrel girl got this thing started. There was a little confusion as to what the actual milage and time was going to be. 21 miles was thrown out there first, than someone else thought it was 27. Whatever. I was happy to get a longer ride in at a place other than Cedarville.

Saturday evening I went over the bike, and got everything ready. I had changed a flat the week before at the house. I used a tube that had been in my seatpak for a while . Well the damn thing had spot worn through it, I guess where something had vibrated against it. I made sure I put a brand new one in the seat pak. I better find something to wrap around the tubes so that doesn’t happen again. I still don’t have a camelback so I would have to make due with one bottle on the bike and one in the jersey pocket. I also didn’t want to bonk on the other riders and actually took some food with me and used it.

The start time was supposed to be 10am. I get there at 9:40. Hmmmm. I don’t see any other bikers. 10 minutes go by and still nobody. I start to consider my options. I’m at the wrong spot or the ride was canceled. Finally at 9:55 SG shows, than 2 minutes later everyone else starts to show up. I guess I misinterpreted "be ready to ride at 10". No matter. I’m not one of those sticklers for a prompt start time. Deadlines are for work. This is fun time.

We end up with 8 people. Pretty good sized group. Finally got rolling at 10:30. I’m curious as to how the trail is . I have no idea what to expect. Last weeks Schaeffer ride was nothing like I had in my head so I stop trying to guess now. It not as rolling as Rosaryville. No real steep climbs but they were a little bit longer and made you work, but the descents were also longer which was great. Not real twisty and not a whole lot of roots. But there were definitely enough roots to keep it entertaining. This was an 11 mile out and back. I didn’t need the granny on the out, but on the return, I was hot and getting tired and had no pride left. I gotta problem anyways with staying in the middle chainring. I’ll usually stand up and pedal before I’ll switch to the granny. This would be fine if I didn’t weight so much , but I know its probly killing my drivetrain. I just call it single speed training.

This was the ride of the "ever shrinking group". 3 miles in we lose 2 to nausea and not feeling good. At the half way point 1 heads home as its only 1/2 mile from his house. 3 miles later 2 more have to get back quickly as take off. By the end its Me, Barbara, and another guy. Damn I never did get his name.

I felt good during the whole ride. I’m not sure though if it was the food I ingested or if it was the rest periods where we waited for Barbara to catch up. The trails were definitely fast and fun but they didn’t look like they would hold up under rain well. I’m definitely going to go back there though.

I wanted to mention the deer too. I see a lot when I ride but these suckers out there are almost domesticated. 1 saw me coming, moved about 2 feet, and just sat there as I rode by. All of this just 10 feet off the trail. I think somebody’s been giving him cliff bars.

SEEya

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Tom, you can get a cheap Camelback at Walmart for about $20.00! It would do for a while!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tommy, I don't remember seeing you on this ride - guess I wasn't paying much attention! Anyway for the record I turned around with Chris at the first 'bail-out' for time reasons. As it turned out I ran into drive train issues on the way back so it was just as well I didn't try to go any further - wound up walking the last 1.5 miles with the chain in my pocket after sucking it into the wheel twice. :(

Glad you had a good ride - next time I've got to pay more attention to who I'm riding with! ;)

Tom said...

Come on Bob, 6'3" full beard like you, and wearing a cyborg looking knee brace. I scare the shit outta most people. :) I was hanging out it the rear right in front of Barbara.

Next time I'm gonna make a point to come up and yell "Hi Bob".

seeya man