Just 99 miles to go

Sunday, April 10, 2005

3rd day post op 4/10

I'm setting the alarm to wake me up in the middle of the night to take the painkillers on the 4 hour intervals. The first night it didn't work worth a shit. The alarm went off at 4am waking me out of a peaceful sleep, and the leg didn't evan hurt. Popped a pill and then layed there, and layed there, and layed there. I didn't have pain but from all the catnaps I had taken the day before I couldn't fall back to sleep. I ended up turning the tv on watching that for an hour before I dozed back off.
That was the first night home. I had forgotten about that.

The 2nd night/3rd day I went to bed late enough where I set the alarm for 5am. This time I fell back asleep for an hour. Woke up and got outta bed at 6am. I usually don't get outta bed during normal days till 6:30 and then its a fight. I don't know how I'm going to go back to work, this shit is screwing my sleeping all up.

The wife and kids went out shopping after I convinced her that I wouldn't die on the couch from lack of nourishment. Getting up and down was still a major undertaking but I could do it.
The day was basically, watch tv on the reliner, work on blog a few minutes, watch tv on couch, take a nap, take a percocet, repeat. If I were a cat, I would be in heaven. Needless to say my cat and I have bonded in a way the dog will never understand.

This is probaly the worst day yet of pain so I've been keeping up on the painkillers every 4 hours. (I might have cheated by 10 minutes a couple of time). But the prescription says take 1 or 2 every 4 hours, I've been keeping it down to 1. When the knee finishes healing I'll be outta shape, but I won't be hooked on painkillers.

My appetite has been cut down to practically nothing. I noticed the chest feeling thin and the arms looking smaller. I thought using using crutches would help the triceps but its not as hard as you would think. Friday night the wife gets dinner from Subway. My usual meal consists of 2 12" subs, some chips, and then maybe half of the wifes 12" if I'm still hungry. I still have 1 1/2 subs left from friday. I have the 1/2 part from the leftovers and then call it a night.

Tomowrow I actually get to go out. I have my first physical therapist appt.

1 comment:

Your Name Here said...

Think how much easier it is going to be climbing at Greenbrier without all that excess muscle. ;)

I love the part about bonding with your cat. I've had a few of those days lately. My cats seem to enjoy the days that I stay home.