Just 99 miles to go

Monday, September 05, 2005

SM100 Volunteer Report. part 2

So all evening I’m running between fetching water for boiling pasta, helping fill the drink coolers, emptying trash, and running for anything anybody else needs. The schedule originally said I was suppose to be on from 2-6, but I really didn’t have anything else I wanted to do and I’m enjoying the company of the other volunteers and racers.

I finally met fellow blogger and Clydesdale, Gwadzilla. I’ve been reading his blog for a while and like the way he’s pushing for clyde classes in races. Hey Joel, your skinnier than I thought. Christ, you lose another 10, you won’t be racing clyde. :)

Kitchen duty finally ended about 10 or 10:30. I can’t really remember now. I just remember it was dark and I was tired. I sat around until about 11:00 with Denis, who was racing Sunday and Anne. Finally got a chance to get a few beers, which went straight to my head.

Let me tell ya right now. I cannot drink. I get 2 or 3 beers and that’s all she wrote for me. I bailed on Anne and Denis and made my way back to Gorilla Homebase. That was a freak’n joke in itself. It was pitch dark outside. I had half a buzz going, and no light. I’m walking up a hill which I think I’m camped on. I can’t see shit. I was hoping the guys camping on either side of me would have been there with some lights on but they had called it an evening already. I’m walking past one site and happen to notice the vehicle parked there has a Chevy emblem on the front of it. Hey , I drive a Chevy truck, but its so freak’n dark I cant tell if its my truck or maybe somebodys SUV. After a minute of feeling the vehicle up, I realize I’m home. Thank God.

I give the wife a quick call to let her know I’m not dead and tell her to call me at 5:30 the next morning in case I don’t hear the beeping wake up truck that they run around the field. No, my cheap ass cell phone doesn’t have an alarm.

TBC

No comments: